Pages

Monday, December 14, 2009

iBaked

Kenyon loves apple desserts. His favorite is made by Sue Jones. She makes an apple crumble pie that is yummy. She gave me the recipe and I've yet to try it. However, I did look up the recipe for apple crisp online recently thinking that might be a bit easier since it is sans the pie crust.

There is a kind of apple in Cambodia that is absolutely fabulous. It has become one of my favorite snacks. I don't know what type of apple it is, but the skin is yellow and red. What's inside is soooo tasty...it's a good sweet fix when I am craving sugar.

Here is the result of my first attempt at apple crisp.

Kenyon loved it. He loved it so much I've made three in less than a month and while I was gone he attempted to make one on his own. He didn't like his own as well as mine, he couldn't get the crisp right. That is the hardest part here. Why? Because we don't have a mixer. The recipe calls for mixing in cold butter. Doing that by hand is grueling. I definitely work up a sweat!

I read an article recently that housewives of the 50's stayed in shape through their housework. It was all manual - few kitchenaid's, dishwashers or clothes washing machines. After making apple crisp with nothing but the strength in my arm and a hand whisk; I believe the author. I burn some serious calories mixing up this sweet treat, which I guess then justifies my indulging in eating it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment