Pages

Saturday, October 03, 2009

Manila Day 2

newspaper: in the paper this morning there was a full page add about what to do to take care of your automobiles engine in the event of a flood. It was actually an interesting read. I also read an editorial where the guy is talking about a natural disaster providing an opportunity to reassess priorities - people, not stuff ,are what matter most.

work: I spent the morning working on grant proposals and submitted one just after lunch. Then we went to the field.

volunteers: our national (local) partner has an amazing network of volunteers. Over 200 volunteers have packed around 9,000 food packages. They also help distribute the goods. Our partner is the local church. Regardless how you feel about God, it is my belief that the local church, when functioning right, has incredible potential to be a force for good in the world. Today, I witnessed the local church at it's best - people giving selflessly to anyone who had a need. They were giving with a smile and willing to get their hands dirty (sometimes their whole bodies, literally). It was inspiring!

water world: Since arriving in Manila, I'd only seen paved streets that were wet with rain, but definitely not flooded. Today, I saw something I have never seen before. We drove a short ways to the south part of town and the picture is completely different. Waist high water. We are not talking clean water either, this stuff is filthy. It stinks. There is all kinds of trash and debris floating in the water. People have no where to go, so they just walk in it. The kids swim in it. They have made these make shift boats out of anything they can find, including a bath tub. They transport stuff, women and children on these boats through the streets. There were also a number of air beds being used as rafts. In one area, they have started building raised walkways made of sticks. Their ingenuity is astounding! Our host tells us that people are developing rashes because of the water - I'm not surprised. The food that had been given in this area in the beginning is already gone or growing stale in homes with no electricity. For this distribution we only have 400 food kits. There are thousands of desperate people living without basic necessities. We are driven in to the community in a giant military truck, riding in the back with the food. If I had enough, I would have given something to everyone.

dignity: as I watched the crowds form to receive our measly offering I was struck by the question, how can we restore their dignity? earlier in the day as I was working on grant proposals it had come up that some of the needed items were underwear and sanitary napkins. I am the only woman on this team of men and they considered sanitary napkins an unnecessary need. I made a case to include them as part of the hygiene kit. I watched many of the women at the distribution. Many were in their pajamas (not uncommon in Asia in public), but the difference was lack of undergarments. I noticed them trying to retain their modesty (very important in Asian culture). A nearly impossible feat while wearing cotton pajamas in waist high water. I know food matters for survival. I know in order to make food that kitchen items such as a pot to cook rice are necessary. I know the need for clean water. I don't deny the value of any of these things. On a list of competing priorities with limited resources, some things have to go to the bottom of the pile. After my experience today, I've decided to those who survive something like this disaster restoring dignity is also a worthwhile goal. At least for the women, sanitary napkins and undergarments are an important part of that response.

contrasts: after spending the afternoon in the water and muck we went back to the part of town where my dry hotel is, with my comfortable bed and warm shower. We ate dinner at an Italian restaurant until I was full to the rim. I thought about how in my surroundings it was easy to forget what I had just seen and experienced. it was easy to forget that there are people up the road who don't know what they are going to eat tonight for dinner and don't have a dry place to sleep. I wondered how often in my day to day life I am oblivious to the struggles of those around me. How often do my comforts blind me to the needs of others. I'm sure it is more times than I can possibly count.

1 comment: