Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Soap box: words matter!

I believe that words matter. I consider the selection of words an art form...that's why I like reading Toni Morrison so much, because she has such an artistic use of language. I am distrubed by the decline in quality use of the English language. I was willing to overlook the spoken venacular, but written language is different and should be treated respectfully.

Imagine my disgust when I saw this. I took this photo with my cell phone. In case you can't read it the sign says, "Filet 2 4 $3.00 4 lent"

I hear that college students are using this kind of code in papers they submit for class. I am so glad that never happened when I was teaching, I would have failed them for sure!

In case you're wondering, as I write this I feel like I should have my hair pulled back tightly in a bun. I should be wearing reading glasses that balance precariously on the tip of my nose. I should be wearing a button up sweater, long skirt and comfortable shoes. You know the woman I am talking about. You can picture her in your mind.

Regardless of the stereotype, I still think words matter. So I ask you, is use of code appropriate in a public advertisement? I think not! What's your opinion?

1 comment:

  1. The use of texting by phone is the culprit in all of this. Nowadays, kids learn abbreviations and code words before they learn to spell correctly (and they may never learn to spell at all). This is their language. This is the way they communicate and I believe it is a very sad state of affairs. BUT, as far as advertising, it is a smart way to go, especially, for a fast food chain like McDonald's whose clientele is largely the younger generation. That's what advertising is...speaking the language of those you are trying to entice.

    ReplyDelete