Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Discouraged!

I was recently in Bolivia at a conference for pastors and church leaders. The keynote speaker asked a question. They asked the group to bow their heads and close their eyes (for privacy reasons), then they asked those who are weary or discouraged to lift their hands. I violated the privacy expectation and looked. I was curious about the response. Approximately half the room had their hands up stating they are overwhelmed and discouraged in their work.

I can relate. Since taking this job I have had more moments of feeling overwhelmed and discouraged than I can think of previously. What causes that discouragement? I believe it is my own human limitations. I am keenly aware of my limitiations. I am limited in time, energy and resources. I am limited in knowledge and insight. I am limited...those limitations often cause me frustration and can bring discouragement. I cannot help everyone. I am only capable of giving so much. I do not have an endless supply of resources and, thus, have to make many difficult decisions.

There are a couple of verses related the topic of discouragement.

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. ~ Galatians 6:9

...but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. ~ Isaiah 40:31


I am currently not in a season of discouragement, but a season of hope. When I feel discouraged I cling to truths like these until my perspective changes and I'm able to embrace my humanity and persevere in spite of struggle.

What brings you comfort in times of discouragement?

1 comment:

  1. LOL -- You peeked! Some things never change :-)

    ReplyDelete