Pages

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Twelve days of Christmas: Day Twelve

The case of the missing tamales
My mom sent me the best Christmas gift a Hispanic girl living in the South could get - a case of tamales from Posa's. Unfortunately, we had a miscommunication in when we were leaving for Kansas City. According to the tracking number the tamales arrived at our home in North Carolina on the day we left to KC. I called two neighbors and a friend to see if they could pick up the tamales from our doorstep and stick them in the freezer so I could pick them up (and enjoy them) when we returned Christmas Eve. My friend Athalia has done some exceptional detective work and discovered that the tamales were delivered to the wrong house, but the home owners of the incorrect address didn't have them. UPS didn't have them. They have gone missing. I am incredibly disappointed. Though we visited many places in this holiday season (Virginia, North Carolina and Kansas City), we did not make it to my home town of Santa Fe which is absolutely the best place in the world to spend the Christmas season.

At the Christmas cookie party one of my friends asked, what are your holiday traditions? I told her about tamales and posole and just thinking about it made my mouth water. My mom sending tamales was like an answer to prayer - or maybe my mom has telepathy. I can just imagine enjoying the tamales on Christmas day...too bad they seem to have disappeared without a trace.

Athalia and her husband Travis have decided this case of the missing tamales would make a good children's book...maybe someone can get some benefit from my heartache.

No comments:

Post a Comment