Pages

Monday, March 12, 2007

St.Patty's parade

This is the only city I've lived in that celebrates St.Patty's day. I mean really celebrates. When I was growing up you might see a "Kiss me I'm Irish" t-shirt, green beer and get a pinch or two if you forgot the date. This city takes it up quite a few notches. There are at least 10 parades around the city to choose from. Decorations are just about everywhere. It is hard to forget the date. My first year living here I attended the St. Patty's parade downtown, then immediately called my mom and said she needed to mark her calendar for the next year to see this sight. She came and we had quite the celebration! My brother ran in a 5K that morning, we went to the big parade, then joined in other celebrations around the city, and even ate cabbage.

This Saturday morning I kept an annual tradition and attended the Brookside St. Patty's parade. Every year it gets a little bigger. The kids get as much or more candy than Halloween. This community celebration reminds me of one from home - the pet parade. It includes lots of locals walking around in strange outfits (often with their pets), school bands, some restaurants and politicians. It's a lot of fun and I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment