Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

it's about that time again...time to go back to school

I have spent the majority of my life in school. Every two to three years, I return to school. I just can't seem to stay away. However, I am about to embark on a learning experience I never anticipated. No, I am not returning to finish my PhD (not yet anyway).

What kind of school will I be attending? Well, I have applied to take seminary courses as a limited enrollment student.

This wasn't really on my list of things I planned to do in life. I am a woman. I am a leader. The two are not usually welcome together as a package in church. I had figured attending seminary was something one did when they planned to go in to church leadership, be a pastor or something like that. Since that wasn't in my plans, seminary was off the list of lifetime learning experiences. Until recently...

My employer has requested that all field leadership complete at least 12 hours of theological training from a seminary. I suppose my learning in the school of hard knocks hasn't been sufficient?! Rather than have a bad attitude about this requirement, I decided to embrace it. I researched many schools around the world and decided on an institution in my home country of America. Last week, I sent in my application materials - including an application, fee, transcripts and a pastors reference. It is my intention to begin online classes in the summer semester. When I was looking at the course options I started to get excited about the possibility of being a student again.

I am a nerd. I know this. I own this fact about myself. I now stand on the edge of a new (and entirely unplanned) learning experience. Life is certainly an adventure!

2 comments:

  1. I love to go to school too! I guess I am a nerd as well. Please let me know what classes you are taking, I am just curious. When I visited Oral Roberts University, I sat in on a class that taught Grace the whole semester, that was it! Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatdya pick? Seminary is on my bucket list - It seems practical to have that level of theological training for everyday life. Excited for you!

    ReplyDelete