Pages

Friday, May 26, 2006

Memorial Day

This weekend, memorial day weekend, I am celebrating something I really want to commemorate - my adoption. This morning Bob and I went to my attorneys office and signed adoption paperwork. After lunch we went to the courthouse to file the paperwork. There is one piece remaining before it's final, my attorney is going to send out a notice to my mom informing her of the event. This was required by the judge before he would sign the document. It's a formality since my mom was the first person I told and she consented. Fiona and her daughter Delenn accompanied us today and took pictures along the way.

Tonight we had an adoption party. All of my good friends from Kansas City came and celebrated with us. It was sooooo much fun. The adoption party was hosted at Fiona's house. When we arrived there were pink balloons and a sign over the garage - "It's a Girl" Too cool! We ate appetizers, ordered pizza, and had an ice cream cake. Many people brought cards. Angela found some very special cards and it was at that point I started crying, it didn't stop for some time. Darlene had an engraved picture of Bob and I made for each of us. The picture was from his visit at Christmas. Yasmine and Gamil brought each of us a plant. Fiona made each of us a scrapbook from the day's events. Amazing! I don't know how she pulled it all together in such a short amount of time? She hosted the party, accompanied us most of the day, and made two scrapbooks. It's official - she's superwoman.

My contribution was a little game of my own design. It was a combination of three games; trivial pursuit, 20-questions, mixed with Two Truth's and a Lie. The purpose was to tell my adoption story. The questions related to things like when we first met, when he taught me to drive, laughing at the size of his hands, things we share in common and things we like to disagree about - our shared passions, faith and memories. It was a wonderful celebration of a very special day. I have a plant, scrapbook and engraved photo frame to remind me. What a wonderful memorial day, I will remember it forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment