Pages

Friday, December 24, 2010

Santa Fe Christmas (meal)



I was secretly hoping to avoid a repeat of my turkey experience on Thanksgiving. In a conversation with my friend Angela it came out that around Christmas my family has different traditional foods. She suggested we serve those for our Christmas dinner...I am so relieved.


If you have been a long time reader of this blog than you know what foods this Hispanic girl equates with Christmas. You might remember the case of missing tamales?

Well, in honor of my heritage our menu for Christmas dinner will consist of the following:
  • posole - a spicy (at least the way I like to eat it) soup made from hominy
  • red chili beef enchiladas - the chili is a recipe I have used for years from my Tia Nita...and no, it is not the stew many eat on cold days with beans and meat. This is a sauce made from ground chili peppers. Mmm, good!
  • pinto beans cooked slowly over the course of the day to allow the flavors to simmer and the smell to fill the air. I can almost smell it now.
  • tamales from my hometown of Santa Fe courtesy of my mother who knows what makes me happy. I am so glad that Posa's delivers. My mouth immediately started watering when I saw the package on the doorstep that said "Santa Fe Tamales" in the from line.
  • tacos - a suggestion from my dad for those who might not like the spicy as much as I do
When living in Kansas, my friend Elaine and I would have a Santa Fe Christmas (meal) together each year. Even in my absence she keeps the tradition, it has become her families tradition to eat enchiladas. I love that!

What are your families food traditions for this holiday?

Just Sheri, looking forward to a Santa Fe Christmas (meal) in Virginia

No comments:

Post a Comment