Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

trash

When Kenyon and I first moved to the mountains of North Carolina I found one change incredibly inconvenient - trash disposal. In my entire adult life, until now, I simply stored my trash in a receptical at my home and it was picked up weekly by the city garbage collector. Easy, convenient, low mess or hassle. Curbside trash pick-up is rare here. We must take all trash to a public facility. I had often found this to be a big hassle, especially when trying to get out of town.

Last weekend I took a picture of our trash disposal location. Why? Because I realized I had become accustomed to this activity. I realized that in actuallity it had probably helped us reduce our waste because we were so keenly aware of how often we had to go to the trash or the amount of trash we were disposing. It must have helped, because for the first time in my life I am recycling.
Do you think others would become less wasteful if they had to haul their own trash? Does curbside pick-up encourage wastefulness?

No comments:

Post a Comment