Pages

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Black Friday: an American tradition

Kelsey asked me to take her out for Black Friday. I agreed, but told her that I will be keeping my Black Friday tradition. 

K: what's that?

S: since I was young my dad would ask me to go with him. I go, but I reserve the right to complain. If that is an acceptable condition, then I will be up in the morning for Black Friday.

Kelsey agreed to my one condition as no one else was willing to participate. This photo is of us around 6am the morning after Thanksgiving.


For those who read this blog and are not familiar with the concept of Black Friday, let me explain.

In the United States, the day after Thanksgiving thousands of people (likely millions across the land) rise before the sun. Some dedicated individuals even camp out the night before or plan all night excursions for this annual event. What is it that has so many forgoing sleep? What could be so urgent a matter?

SHOPPING!!!

Black Friday traditionally marks the beginning of the Christmas season. To American's Christmas equals presents and presents equals shopping. Stores know that after consuming turkey our minds have already raced to the next thing we must do...and Christmas is on the horizon. Let the frenzy begin!

For us, the first stop was McD's for coffee and breakfast. I snapped this to document the event. The restaurant had been opened since 3am and it was buzzing by the time we got there.


My sister-in-law works in retail. She had to be at work by 4am that day. My brother said, "who needs to go shopping at 4am?" Apparently, there are many. Is this sane? Can someone, please, explain to me why we do this?

I have done it for years, when I am in country I am probably up before dawn for Black Friday (always reserving the right to complain). When living in Kansas I hit the shops around midnight with my friend Fiona. She wasn't originally from the US, but she caught on quickly. She came with organized lists, coupons and adverts. Fiona knew who did matching discounts and where the best deals on the hottest items would be. In my world she still holds the title of "Black Friday Queen." I stood in awe at both her organization and at our behavior...people will literally claw one another for a toy. Every year there is some sad story of someone being trampled to death when a store opens or when a desirable item is unveiled.

In case you didn't already know...in America we like our stuff, we like it a LOT.

Just Sheri, physically present but reserving the right to complain

No comments:

Post a Comment