Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

memories are the BEST gifts

The Hubs and I spent this Christmas in Oklahoma City with my brother, sister-in-law, and adopted dad. I figure the last time we had Christmas together was somewhere around the turn of the century.
 
One of my great joys in being a recovering expat is that I have been able to spend more time with these precious people. In recent years we have met up in South Carolina, Colorado, New Mexico and Florida. We took a Carribbean cruise. They have come to visit us in Virginia and we celebrated milestones.
 
This year they gave me an excellent Christmas gift. What's that? The gift of shared memories. My literal gift was a ticket to a Thunder game (Yes, Oklahoma City has an NBA team). But, we shared meals and laughs. We had dance parties until the wee hours of the morning. We came up with creative ways to cook meals, as the kitchen in their new home is under construction. We made memories...together. To me, those moments are priceless and make up a meaningful life.

Sure, there are many times I still long for the former days when I globe trotted with a purpose. However, that life comes with incredible sacrifice - one of those sacrifices was time spent away from loved ones.

I consider moments spent with these people a gift. And, while I am already missing them greatly as I am on the east coast and they are in the mid-west of the United States, I cherish our times together.

Wishing each of you a holiday season full of wonderful memories with loved ones.

just Sheri, making new memories

No comments:

Post a Comment