Pages

Sunday, October 27, 2013

the great divide


I have recently realized something about myself that I do not like and want to change. I am not really sure how to write about it as it is something we don't normally talk about in the United States. When I first returned to my homeland one of the things I noticed was the obvious class divide, people who have wealth hang with others who are wealthy - never knowing and rarely interacting with those who are less fortunate. Perhaps the generous rich will write a check to an agency to help the poor, or on special occasions they may even give of their time, but do they invite someone who is poor to their home? are they intimately familiar with their circumstance? do they walk beside someone who is struggling financially? These are few and far between.

Research has shown that relationship/friendship is the best pathway out of poverty. A meaningful connection with just one person who can give a hand up will help change the oppression of generational poverty.

I knew immediately upon my return to the U.S. that I must be intentional in building relationships across class lines. I tried to do this in being selective about how I spend my time and who I spent time with.

Fast forward nearly three years (yes, we have been back in the States for nearly three years) and my intentions are for not. During the government shutdown when I heard that families who receive WIC (women, infant and children subsidies for necessities like food) were not going to receive their payments. I wanted to help. That is when I came to the uncomfortable realization that I live a sheltered life. While those I know have struggles, nearly all of the people I spend time with on a regular basis have good jobs, an emergency saving fund, a nice home and are not struggling to survive.

I don't like this truth. I don't want it to remain my reality. If I really believe the best way to help people who are struggling is through connection/relationship - then why am I not living that truth? My family was a recipient of WIC subsidies when I was growing up, it was a matter of circumstance not a reflection of effort. How can I now be so far removed from those in a similar circumstance? I find this unacceptable. I aim to change it. I would rather have Luke 14: 12-14 be true of me:
"When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your bothers or sisters, your relatives, or rich neighbors, if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous."
I am not sure how to bridge the great divide among classes in the U.S., but I hope to start in my circle of friends.

just Sheri, a sheltered professional

No comments:

Post a Comment