Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Overcommitted

I have spent the first part of this year with too much activity. The Hubs has termed this "doing too much" and he has had to bring this to my attention on numerous occasions over the years. I then am forced to reevaluate my schedule and priorities and make adjustments. For months numerous commitments have had me out of the house every week night:
  • Monday: Vy and I are taking a conversational Spanish course at the community college
  • Tuesday: I meet with Johanna, and once a month I participate in a book club meeting
  • Wednesday: I teach writing at the local community college as a literacy volunteer 
  • Thursday: every other week is a second book club meeting, on off weeks Jennifer and I hang out

Weekends are then filled with various volunteer and social activities.

While I could easily classify all of this activity as "good"- it is not good for me. So, two book clubs must become one. When my conversational Spanish class ends in April, I will not replace it with another activity. I have informed the literacy volunteer organization that, while I love the students and believe in the cause, I cannot continue to teach the course. After some time of rest, I will consider returning to one-on-one sessions like I did with Vy. I am constantly evaluating what else must go, what should stay, and whether or not there is anything else I should take on.

What has sparked this sudden re-evaluation? Well, there is a new, all-consuming commitment that is necessitating this...but more on that in a later post.

just Sheri, evaluating my commitments

No comments:

Post a Comment