Pages

Saturday, March 02, 2013

just read: Long Walk to Freedom

It is only fitting to follow a post on Emancipation with the story of a freedom fighter - Nelson Mandela. I have long admired Madiba (Mandela's tribal name) for his strength of character and the sacrifices he made for a strongly held conviction. I do not know many people who could be sent to prison for nearly three decades and come out speaking of reconciliation and forgiveness.

The early parts of this book, when he is describing his boyhood, made me long to be in Africa. The images described were like many I had seen in my time there. The beauty of that continent is impressive and Mandela describes it well.

More than the vivid word pictures and clear fondness Mandela has for his homeland, this book is a lesson in how to structure, manage and maintian a movement. By the end, I felt as if I had received an education in community action. I took notes throughout. The Hubs asked, "why are you writing in that book?"

"Because this is good stuff about how to bring about change," was my response.

I also enjoyed learning about South African and ANC (African National Congress political party) history. I was exposed to the broad strokes, but this book provided the timeline and details that I was lacking.

Mandela's discipline is unreal. His perspective is unique.His optimism is unbelievable. There are a number of passages that left me contemplating life, humanity and my role in the universe. But, I believe this one is worth sharing because it summarizes his world view and what made him such a powerful leader.

"I am no more virtuous or self-sacrificing than the next man, but I found that I could not even enjoy the poor and limited freedoms I was allowed when I knew my people were not free...It was during those long and lonely years that my hunger for the freedom of my own people became a hunger for the freedom of all people, white and black. I knew as well as I knew anything that the oppressor must be liberated just as surely as the oppressed. A man who takes away another mans freedom is a prisoner of hatred...When I walked out of prison, that was my mission, to liberate the oppressed and the oppressor both...For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others."

just Sheri, thankful for the example of a great life

No comments:

Post a Comment