Pages

Tuesday, October 04, 2011

sister-friends

My life has been blessed with an abundance of rich friendships. There are women in my life who are more than a friend, they are sisters born of the heart.

I have a sister-friend in Kansas City, whom I met while living there. We started, and finished, graduate school together - though at the start we were strangers. We share the same heritage and have carried each other through some terribly painful experiences over the years.

I have a sister-friend in Dubai, who is Egyptian, but I met her when they first moved to the USA about 10 years ago. We had an instant bond, she originally thought I was from her country. She has experienced so much diversity, but has kept the sweetest spirit - she is always a blessing to me.

I have a sister-friend who is Aussie, currently living in Australia, but we met when living in Cambodia; we shared an office, lived in the same building, and basically did EVERY thing together. We share a passion for the developing world, we are hooked on adventure, our life paths have led us away from both - it is a gift to have someone to share in the challenges of transition.

I have a second Aussie sister-friend (purely coincidental). We met when she immigrated to the USA. We bonded while serving side-by-side to share God's love in practical ways. In our wedding in India, she played the role of my sister in the ceremony. This sister-friend currently lives in China.

What is amazing to me is that the distance has not broken our bond. We have lived apart for years, but my love for them is deeper than ever. Through the wonders of technology we still share the highs and lows of life. Sometimes Skype even provides a video chat. Any one of these friendships in my life would have been a blessing...but I have been showered with the blessing of many sister-friends.

I share this today, because I am leaving to China this week to visit my Aussie sister-friend who lives there. This trip is a birthday present from my dad. Before marriage, he was my travel buddy. We have seen many places together (mostly on the continent of Asia) and walked countless miles. This is our first trip together since I have been called "wife."

It is going to be a special time. I will be soaking up every possible moment. I likely won't be blogging regularly. There may be some random tourist posts that pop-up from time to time in coming weeks, but that will only be as I am able.

I'll catch up with you all later. For now, I am living life off-line.

just Sheri, blessed

No comments:

Post a Comment