Pages

Monday, August 08, 2011

mid-career - whatever that means!

I think I have reached a new stage in life. I am no longer an inexperienced novice. Nor am I a well-seasoned veteran. I am that strange in-between. I have some experiences under my belt, but I still have a lot to learn.

I think they call this "mid-career."

I started to realize this about myself when returning to the USA. The jobs I was looking at required a certain level of experience. I met the requirements. That is a new occurrence. It wasn't so long ago that I would have read the requirements and been under the preferred threshold. I might have considered applying anyway, knowing it is was a stretch, but believing the company should take a chance on me. This time I did not have to debate that question, it was more a matter of whether or not I thought the position was worth the effort.

I've also noticed that recent months have brought about another new phenomena. I have been spending a lot of time with young women answering questions, listening to their stories, and hearing about their dreams. They are asking me how to get there. What do I know? Not much. I could probably tell you what NOT to do.

These events have me questioning my placement on the growth curve - have I reached the dreaded "mid-career?" If not, yet, I am probably pretty close.

Is this a good or a bad thing? I am not sure.

just Sheri, wondering how I got here

No comments:

Post a Comment