Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

the little engine that could...

I have decided that one of my responsibilities as a tutor is to share American culture with my student. What better way to do that than through a popular children's book?

On a recent weekday, two grown-ups sat in a library and read aloud "The Little Engine that Could."

I hadn't planned on it being a good opportunity to teach about the rhythm of the English language...nor old school words that aren't used that often anymore. My thoughts were rather shallow actually. Ahh, this is a popular children's book that adults still refer to often. That should be good.

We ended up having an insightful conversation about character qualities. She has the best questions.

Q: How would you describe the attitude of the little blue engine?


Optimistic. Do you know that word?

No. What does it mean?


I wrote it down. Then wrote the best definition I could come up with without the use of a dictionary.

Optimistic: believing the best about people or situations. Believing that you can, even when it's hard or challenging. Believing the challenge is not too big.

The opposite of optimistic is pessimistic. Do you know that word?

No.


Pessimistic: believing that people are bad or situations are too hard. Viewing the challenge as too big.

The little blue engine was also helpful and kind. The little blue engine was confident that even though he had not tried to go over the mountain before, he could do it.

How would you describe the attitude of the other trains?


Some of the other trains were arrogant, believing that they were too important to help the toys when they asked. Do you know the word arrogant?

No. What does it mean?


Arrogant...pause. I was not really sure how to define arrogance. Then I explained that when we say someone is "arrogant" it is not a compliment. I guess arrogance can be describe as being overly confident.

Yes. I understand. Too much confidence.


TOO MUCH confidence.


This is a good story. I am going to read it to my little sister. It has a good lesson.


just Sheri, reminded about character from a children's book



No comments:

Post a Comment