Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

forks over knives

I had mentioned in the post "still transitioning" that Kenyon and I attended an independent film with my co-workers. I have been meaning to write about the movie we saw - Forks Over Knives. The movie is advocating a whole foods, plant-based diet. Like every documentary I have seen - it is not a comprehensive portrayal of the issue. However, it is a topic worthy of discussion and (serious) consideration.

Do I believe that diet plays a pivotal role in overall health? YES!

Do I believe that the American diet is out of whack as far as health and nutrition are concerned? YES!

Do I believe this idea is the final solution? No.

Since viewing the movie, I have had many friends from around the U.S. post about their response to the film on facebook. One is adopting the diet wholeheartedly. Kenyon was of that persuasion when we left the movie...a few weeks later he isn't quite so radical about his conviction.

We did however make some changes in our diet and I have taken the opportunity to introduce some things that before would have received criticism at the dinner table. Our new milk of choice is soy milk, rather than cows milk. The majority of our dinners are vegetarian and we eat a wide variety of fresh fruits and vegetables. Prior to watching this movie, Kenyon would not accept a meal without a meat. He once asked, "without meat, how do you get full?" I don't think he wonders that anymore.

Some recent recipes have been:

  • High protein breakfast cookies: made with flax, nuts (walnut, pecan or almond), cinnamon, raisins or dried cranberries, and a secret ingredient. (Shhh! The secret is blended kidney beans as the wet ingredient) These are great (and nutritious) on your way out the door in the morning. Because they are high in protein, they keep you feeling full for a few hours. I can thank Dayna Whitlock for the recipe.
  • Stuffed sweet peppers: these were stuffed with seasoned Bulgar wheat, then baked. Very filling (and tasty)!
  • Lentil-apple salad: these are seasoned with curry and includes chunks of cooked potatoes. I have always loved potatoes - thus low-carb diets were never a consideration for me. Kenyon's response, "you could make that again!" He is a fan of apples.
  • Acorn squash stuffed with mushrooms: I saw the squash at the market and just had to have some. My dad first introduced me to these when I was a young person still living at home. I thought they looked nasty. He insisted I try it anyway. I fell in love as a young person, but haven't cooked with these squash as an adult (mostly because I have hardly cooked as an adult).
  • Black bean burgers: I made these for the first time in Mozambique, but reintroduced them recently. The beans are mashed with green peppers and onions, then seasoned with cumin and chili powder. Made in to patties and then baked in the oven.
  • Summer Salad: with spinach, strawberry, pomelo (found at my favorite grocery - Global Foods), and jicama.
All of these recipes made the "eat again" rating category with my husband. These are things he would have turned up his nose at before. 

I'd like to say "thank you" to the creators of Forks Over Knives for encouraging us to experiment at the dinner table.

Some of these recipes may be the subject of future blog posts...is there one that sounds particularly tasty to you?

just Sheri, experimenting in the kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment