Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

functionally illiterate

When moving overseas I was afforded the opportunity to learn what it is like to go through life functionally illiterate. Though, I have a masters degree and reading (in English) is my most consistent hobby - I could not read street signs, simple sentences, instructions, applications, documents and forms. I was often asked to sign things that I could not read. It was an eye opening experience as I learned to adapt and cope with this challenge.

I became fascinated with the challenges of adult learners, especially those attempting to learn to read, write and do basic math. The agency I worked for created an adult literacy program, which gave me an opportunity to research the topic of teaching adults these skills. I started volunteering with a group of young people who wanted to improve their English language skills. I have not forgotten the struggles I experienced as an illiterate adult.

As a woman, this issue became even closer to my heart. In so many parts of the world women are not even offered the opportunity to learn such things. I don't know why I was born where I was born and afforded the opportunities I have been afforded, but I am certain it is not just to benefit myself. I need to do something with these gifts. Since international travel is not an option currently, I started to look for local volunteer opportunities. That is when I found the Literacy Volunteers of America. I signed up for their literacy tutor training and willingly spent a few beautiful Saturday's in a classroom to earn my certificate.

I am officially certified as a literacy tutor and have told the organization that my preference for student is a women from outside of the US. I can't wait to put my education to work!

just Sheri, a certified literacy tutor

No comments:

Post a Comment