Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

found: my first student

I recently received a list of potential students from the Literacy Volunteers of America. Some were born and raised in the U.S., a few had even graduated from high school. Some were from other parts of the globe. I had mentioned before that my personal preference was a woman from another place.

I read the list and responded to the coordinator that there were two I was interested in tutoring. One was a young woman from Southeast Asia, Vietnam specifically. She works at a nail salon in town. The second was a mother from West Africa, Sierra Leone. Her goal was to improve her English skills so she could help her children with their homework.

The coordinator suggested I work with the young woman from Vietnam. I am excited about the opportunity. When I read her bio it made me realize how often I interact with people in similar circumstances, but don't think about their plight. Those at the grocery store stocking shelves or collecting carts. Those at restaurants cleaning tables and dishes. Those at nail salons who have given me a pedicure. I haven't met my student, yet, but she has already taught me something - to open my eyes to the struggles of those I interact with every day.

just Sheri, looking at the world with new perspective

No comments:

Post a Comment