Pages

Tuesday, November 09, 2010

monkey fruit

On the island called Xefina there isn't much. We saw the ruins. A handful of shanties. Some goats and chickens and not much else. There is one thing this little island is known for, a fruit I have never heard of. It is known here as the monkey fruit. Some of the folks I was with harvested some and gave me a taste.

The outside is like a green gord. Break the shell and the inside is brown, mushy slime. Frankly, it looks disguisting. I tried it anyway. I was told to take a bite and suck on the seed. I did as I was told.


The taste is unique. A cross between a banana and orange. I could see how in the heat of the Mozambican sun, the monkey fruit could be refreshing. I didn't eat more than one bite, but I do always enjoy a new experience. Xefina certainly offered that with an introduction to the monkey fruit.

Have you tried any new foods lately? Have you (or would you) try the monkey fruit?

Just Sheri, a fanatic for new experiences

1 comment:

  1. Yes! I love new experiences. I recently tried a dragon fruit and some longans. Yum! (waiting fro a guava & a quince to ripen).

    ReplyDelete