Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

all is well that ends well...

Meet Ian and Abrantis. Less than one hour before this picture was taken, Abrantis almost drowned. No joke. It was one of the scariest moments of my life (perhaps for most of us who witnessed it).


A strong current came and quickly swept up Abrantis. Ian tried to save him but could not. Abrantis was being swept farther and farther from the shore until his head was an uncomfortable distance away and often going under. For an undetermined amount of time it was absolute chaos and panic. One of the women who was with us jumped in to the ocean and somehow managed to get to him and bring him back. I witnessed a heroic act.

When he got to shore the ordeal wasn't over. He was shaking violently - maybe from shock, maybe from hypothermia, maybe both. At one point he stopped completely and was still and unresponsive. That was even scarier than watching him float away. I did the only thing I knew to do - pray. The brave rescuer was doing the same thing. I have never prayed so earnestly for healing as I did at that moment. It felt like an eternity, it could have been only a minute, but for a series of moments there was nothing. No response to verbal commands. No movement. Someone began looking for his pulse...Then suddenly Abrantis popped up. Sitting straight up in seconds. I believe I witnessed a miracle. After a few moments of rest he was up walking around (as evidenced by the picture above).

Our weekend adventure turned a little more adventurous than I would have hoped. Thank God for a happy ending to this tale, the alternative still strikes fear in my heart.

Just Sheri, awed by the bravery of another and the goodness of God

No comments:

Post a Comment