Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Amsterdam

On our recent journey from Africa to America we stopped in Amsterdam, Netherlands. It was a first for both of us.  It was Kenyon's first visit to Europe and my first time out of the airport in Amsterdam. My friend Claire from Maputo acted as our tour guide...by that I mean she gave me maps marked with some of her favorite destinations and helped me find a place to stay. Then her mom kindly drove us to the airport the next day. It was a quick visit (just one sleep), but it was worth a look-see.

This was our fabulous B&B. If you are ever in Amsterdam, we recommend Maes B&B. They have a couple of homes.  This one was newly renovated and a great place to stay.

Here's the inside. Doesn't that look inviting? They also had a nice assortment of tea. I made myself a cup and enjoyed the view for a bit.
Here is a quick snap of the view. Yes, that is one of the canals just outside our window. Awesome! (I said that because Americans are often accused of over using that word...and I am, after all, an American.)
We spent most of our time walking around the canals. This photo was taken just outside the Anne Frank house, photos aren't allowed inside so this was taken to commemorate this stop on the walking tour. We also stopped so I could order a capuccino (the only coffee I drink) at a little cafe. We ate dinner at an Italian restaurant. We really enjoyed the storybook feel of the city.
One of the things I wanted to see was the flower market. Why? Because I have a soft place in my heart for flowers - they make me happy and Amsterdam is supposed to have some of the best (though we were there in the wrong season for tulips).
What I did see were the LARGEST Amaryllis bulbs I have ever seen in my entire life. If we were coming back to a house with a yard, I would have totally bought some. Would that be allowed through customs? There must be a way.
Ahhh, Amsterdam. So much more than the infamous red light district.

2 comments:

  1. This is marvelous! I'm cracking up at the American overuse of "awesome". Craig forbids it in our house, but I've noticed that Caelyn uses it a lot on her blog.

    I'm so glad that you had a great stop in Amsterdam. The B&B does look very inviting! And you're right that the city has a storybook feel to it, at least in your photos. I've never left the airport; and I hear a lot of the sinful reputation of the city, over all. Your post makes me want to leave the airport if I'm ever there again. :-)

    Thanks for sharing. We can't wait to see you guys. And, OH! How I wish you could have brought me an amaryllis. I was thinking yesterday that I haven't bought one this year, which I normally do to have a bloom by Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome pics...hope you are well.
    Hugs,
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete