Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

spring in Maputo

I left to Kenya in late September and returned to Mozambique in early October to a beautiful discovery - the Jacaranda tree. I know that I talk about the beauty of Africa a lot, but that is because that is what I see when I look around. God has blessed this continent with natural beauty (and lots of valuable minerals - but that could be a subject for another post).

I grew up in the high dessert of the USA. Why does that matter? Well, because my exposure to various tree varieties has been limited as a result. I can recognize an aspen tree or a pine tree, maybe an elm or oak. Outside of that - not much.

I grew to appreciate magnolia trees when living in the midwest, but I cannot recall ever seeing a Jacaranda before.

Our neighborhood in Maputo is lined with trees, but it has been winter here since we arrived. The leaves fell off and I've only seen sticks for a number of months. My welcome home was stunning. Purple blooms on the branches, that fall to the ground and look like a fairy tale (at least to my eye).

In case you haven't had the pleasure of seeing a Jacaranda tree before. Below is a photo that I stole from a strangers blog. This is what one looks like in full bloom. This looks nice, but a photo cannot do the color and texture justice. It is a sight!
I hear there are places in the US where Jacaranda grow. Have you seen one? Does this tree grow where you live?

Sheri

2 comments:

  1. Jacuranda is my favorite in Kenya. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They grow in southern California.

    ReplyDelete