Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

the wonders of Blackberry

When I arrived in Mozambique I was issued a Blackberry phone. I had been using a very basic cell phone in Cambodia and the minute I had a Blackberry in my hand it was like welcoming an old friend.  I had no idea I would need it to send an SOS just a few days later.

I've mentioned before that we are living in a guest room at the office. There are little quirks in our room, such as there is only hot water in the morning hours beginning around 3am. The shower head was so caked on with crud that only small streams of water trickled out - that is until Kenyon took his cleaning powers to it and now it runs beautifully! The door knob is broken from the inside. We discovered this the first night. Kenyon said it's fine, I started to get panicky - "what if there is a fire and we can't get out, what if I need a drink of water in the middle of the night and I don't want to wake you (toilet water is not an option), what if..."

He finally gave in and jimmied the lock and we now stick an old grocery store membership card in the door latch so it can be closed, but also easily opened from the inside.

Well, I was in the bathroom inside our bedroom during working hours. Kenyon knew I was in there because he had walked in on me and my presence surprised him. He jumped, but just seconds later he turns around closes the bathroom door and then walks out of our bedroom and closes the door. I can't get out. I consider causing a big scene by banging on the door and yelling - eventually someone will hear me, right? Then I realize I had my trusted companion with me - my Blackberry.

I send Kenyon an email - "you locked me in the room, come open the door" No reply. I wait a few more minutes, still no reply of any sort. I know he is sitting in front of his computer, he must not be logged in to his email.

Then I realize that Lily is also downstairs and she is ALWAYS connected. I send her an email with a similar message. Within a few minutes I hear her laughing downstairs. Then footsteps. Then freedom. Hallelujah, freedom! Thank you, Lily, for rescuing me.

I am so happy to be reunited with my trusted friend; the Blackberry. What a wonderfully useful tool!

NOTE: Lily said I should put this story on my blog. So I did. I hope you had a good laugh at my expense.

No comments:

Post a Comment