Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2010

can't we all just get along?

I John 4:9-11
God showed his love for us when he sent his only Son into the world to give us life. Real love isn't our love for God, but his love for us. God sent his Son to be the sacrifice by which our sins are forgiven. Dear friends, since God loved us this much, we must love each other.

Last year at this time I was thinking about moving overseas. I was looking for opportunities in places with interesting work where I thought Kenyon and I might be able to build a life. At that time I heard something that stuck with me, "the number one reason people leave the field (the overseas work that we are now doing), is because of interpersonal relationships."

Interpersonal realtionships. Really? Someone would leave their family, their friends, their lives and move to the unknown - then, surprisingly, give it all up because they can't get along with others. I find that sad.

I don't know what it is, but I can tell you from experience that I now understand the statistic. I am struggling with a particular relationship in my life. It is someone I work closely with and I am struggling to get past it. God challenges us to love each other, but I am finding it hard to respond in a loving way. Why is this so hard?

Maybe it is the daily stresses we are under in living overseas and this reduces our patience and tolerance for one another? Maybe it is because there is no escape, the lines between home and work life are blurred and too much time together reaps conflict? Maybe it is a spiritual battle and the way the enemy knows we can be defeated?

I don't know what it is, what I do know is it is a very real struggle and one that affects my mood (makes me irritable) and my efficiency (I waste a lot of energy thinking about how to deal with it).

Advice is welcome. Prayer is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment