Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

paying for loyalty?

I've never been a fan of the Iraq war. Not from the first day it was mentioned, until today. I did understand the reasons for invading Afghanistan following 9-11. I believe Clinton's policy of "stop or I'll yell stop again" when the Taliban attacked the USS Cole and a foreign embassy, etc, had actually emboldened the Taliban to try something like the attack on the Twin Towers. As attacks escalated I believed it was only a matter of time until there was an attack on US soil...and then there was. Following the events of 9-11, to stand by and do nothing would have been irrespoinsible. However, I believe involvement in Iraq took our attention away from results in Afghanistan, but now we are there and have destabilized the country, so to pull out at this point would also be irresponsible. Enough about Iraq, this post is about the ongoing question of what to do to weaken the Taliban.

Obama is suggesting we pay Taliban loyalists to defect. You can read the news article from the NY Times here. Sure, there will be plenty of takers to accept the money and they will tell us whatever needs to be said to get the money. However, is loyalty bought truly reliable or sustainable? If loyalty could be bought, what happens when the next bidder comes around asking for loyalty? Will loyalties change again? This sounds like a great plan to be able to claim some victories through monitary incentive, but will it actually make our country safer from the Taliban? I don't think so. The conflict is ideological, not economic.

What do I think would actually make a difference? I believe in the diplomacy of deeds. I believe good can melt even the most bitter and evil heart. Want to make a difference in Afghanistan? Do more good, give young people a different option to matter in this world, give them hope of a brighter future and follow through on these promises to also win the hearts of their parents. I believe more of this will truly change the world - even in Afghanistan.

No comments:

Post a Comment