Pages

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

like living in fort knox

When looking for a place to live one of the first things we were told to ask about is security. The place we live has an iron gate out front, with a huge iron padlock. The door to the apartment has another iron gate with another large padlock. Up the stairs to our apartment and there is a third iron gate...you guessed it, with another padlock. then our wooden door with another lock. To get in and out of the building takes at least 10 minutes unlocking and locking at each point. The door to our patio has a lock, plus a padlock.

I have to ask myself, are all of these locks necessary? I don't know if it makes me any more secure. While standing outside fumbling with the locks I feel quite vulnerable to anyone who intends to rob me. I often have to set down my parcels or even my laptop from work on the ground, just laying there unsupervised, so I can open the lock.

One of the locals who is a friend of ours told me we should add another lock to the building entrance because we weren't secure enough. Seriously? At this point I feel like I live in a fire hazard, at least the building is made of concrete so that is less likelyto be an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment