Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

M.I.S.O.

Once upon a time, I had a wonderful job working for KU. Basically, I was paid to talk to people all day, interesting people. I worked in recruiting, admissions and advising for liberal arts graduate programs at the satellite campus in KC. I loved getting to know the students. I loved when they would stop in my office to chat. It really was a great job...it just wasn't the kind of thing I felt called to do over the long term, the lure of an international context was calling to me. So, I left the job to begin my PhD.

I have, however, kept in touch with many of the students over the years thanks to Facebook. There was one group, the Masters of International Studies Student Organization (MISO), that I really bonded with. Most of these students have graduated and are now making their way in the world, but we still keep in touch. During our visit to KC they hosted a reunion/going-away party for us. It was so much fun to see them again. To meet all of their kids...which was kind of shocking...and to just catch up on what has been happening in our lives the last couple of years. This group is from all over - Europe, Brazil, Lebanon, India, Ghana and more. Here are some photos from the evening.

There is a group of friends like this from the days when I was a graduate student - we all still stay in touch, in fact, today they are some of my closest friends.

Do you still hang out with friends from school? Are there friends from school you've lost touch with? Do you wonder where they are and what they are doing?

1 comment:

  1. It was so much fun. I miss hanging out with MISO like we used to. But, it is still nice to get together when we do. And, I think it will be a standing party whenever you are in town! Your pics from the party are great.

    ReplyDelete