Pages

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Weddings 101

A few weeks ago Kenyon and I attended the wedding of some friends, Alex and Kenisha. Actually, they were already married, this was a vow renewal ceremony. It was a beautiful ceremony and we had a great time at the reception. The reception included dancing - which I absolutely love to do. Some favorites are the cha-cha slide and the cupid shuffle.


Fastforward a couple of weeks and we are invited to another wedding. This time it is wedding of one of my colleagues. A converstion ensued with Kenyon that made me laugh hysterically and also pointed out to me the influence culture has on weddings.

Case One: Cupid Shuffle
This dance is often seen where black people gather, do a search on youtube if you think I'm lying. Personally, I love it and if I'm in the room where the song is playing you will find me on the dance floor. Here is one example I found online so you know what I'm talking about.




Case Two: La Marcha
This is a tradition at latin weddings. It gets everybody up, out of their chairs and on the dance floor - which is where most of us want to be anyway, it just announces that it's time for the dancing to begin because we expect it anyway. I did a search on youtube and couldn't find a good marcha video, so here are some pictures from my friend Deann's wedding and our own wedding reception in New Mexico.

Case Three: Chicken Dance
I have never attended a black or Hispanic wedding where the chicken dance was present. However, it is a regual favorite at white weddings. In fact, we were talking about this again at work and someone said, they always have the chicken dance at weddings. I replied, "not always." Here is an example I found online for the chicken dance in case you aren't familiar with it.


After these recent discussions, what I'm learning is that what dance you do at weddings may be a product of your culture.

Kenyon asked if my colleague will be playing Jamie Foxx's "Blame it" song at her wedding reception. I seriously doubt it, her culture dictates that she is most likely to have a string quartet or four piece jazz band for background music to the conversation. But, maybe she will surprise me?

What kind of music would you expect to hear at a wedding? One from the above selection, or maybe something else?

No comments:

Post a Comment