Pages

Saturday, April 19, 2008

One bag policy...

I've been traveling the majority of my life - hopping on planes to go here and there. I swear travel is getting harder...and it has nothing to do with national security.

I don't like removing my laptop, liquids and stripping down to my skivvy's just to enter the gate area, but I understand this is their means of protecting our homeland. I still think anyone with the intent to do harm will find ways to accomplish that goal in spite of the rules, but whatever, I'll comply with your requirements. Security checks aren't the subject of this post.

In recent years I have experienced more flight delays and travel frustrations than I can recall experiencing previously. Space on the plane is cramped - more seats equals more money but less comfort. There used to be such a thing as customer service and a meal on a long flight was standard. Now there are airlines that will charge exorbitant prices for a small meal. Major restrictions on luggage weight, anything above that is charged a fee. Carry-on luggage is being highly scrutinized - one personal item (laptop or purse) and one bag per customer, no exception; which encourages passengers to check baggage. Now this...a one checked bag per customer policy. A second bag will cost $25 each way for a round-trip ticket. US Airways will even charge a bag fee for international flights.

In a couple of weeks Kenyon and I are going to New Mexico to visit family. Because of all the crazy rules related to cashing in airmiles, we decided to purchase tickets from cheaptickets.com. Shortly after purchasing the tickets I received this in my email inbox:

Dear Sheri,

This is a CheapTickets update to let you know that Delta Air Lines plans to begin charging most passengers a $25 fee each time a second bag is checked.

The new fee, which takes effect on May 1, 2008, is not included in your ticket price and can be paid when you check in at the airport.

Delta Medallion members and passengers traveling in first- and business-class cabins will still be allowed to check up to three bags at no additional charge.

If you have questions about this policy, please call Delta Air Lines at 1-800-221-1212.

Thanks for traveling with CheapTickets.

Sincerely,

CheapTickets Customer Care


Can someone please explain the logic behind this policy change?! Everything I can come up with is related to money - less baggage, equals more space to sell to businesses for transporting goods. Or, less baggage means less fuel, thus reducing costs. I am an efficient packer, I can pack for a two week international trip in a carry-on. This policy effects me, because usually I use my checked baggage for transporting needed materials to the field. In my upcoming trip to Ethiopia, I have a duffel bag full of items requested by field staff. In my India work, we transported gifts for the children and much needed medical supplies in our check baggage.

I will have to change my travel habits, again, or plan to pay $25 at each stop to check two bags - or maybe I should join the world of the elites, they can check three bags at no charge. What's up with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment