Pages

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Ebola virus

I was in Washington D.C. on Friday reading the Washington post. There was an article on the recent outbreak of the Ebola virus in Uganda. It talked about the danger to health workers and the quick spread of the disease. Ebola doesn't have a cure and it can be an unpleasant death. I looked at the region and prayed our staff was safe.

Today, I was told by the Uganda leadership that the HIV staff have been evacuated from the Kamwenge district. The Ebola virus is spreading in the country. Though it has only been identified in the western part of the country, there have been decisions by the Ministry of Health to close down clinics serving the public even in the east.

I don't pretend to understand infectious disease, but I know enough to know that an outbreak of Ebola is a very bad thing. Closing health clinics creates a whole new kind of health crises. Please pray for this country, for our staff, and for the Ministry of Health leadership as they work to stop the spread of Ebola in Uganda.

There are plenty of times I would like the what I read in the news to become part of my life...winning the lottery for instance (though I'd have to play to win). This was not one of the times that I wished to have such a personal connection to the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment