Pages

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Small town inconveniences...

Kenyon and I are attempting to make our new town home. This isn't a big place, it probably wouldn't be more than a blip on a map if the college wasn't here. What does that mean? There isn't much to do, stores close early, and all the conveniences of "big city life" are gone. Our town doesn't have a mall, Target, Barnes & Noble or their equivalent. There is a Wal-mart, an Old Navy, and a JCPenney. One of the things folks do on a Friday night is plan car loads of people to caravan to the bigger city of Hickory approximately an hour away. Before moving here I was looking at the area on a map and thought Hickory couldn't be much, it sounded like a hick town. It probably is a hick town, but it has an Olive Garden, a mall, a Target, and so many other stores, restaurants and shops that we are missing. I never thought I would caravan with others to Hickory to eat at Olive Garden, visit the mall, the Barnes & Noble and think it was a great night out. My, my, my how my world has changed!

The other thing is that everything in our town closes down so early. Kenyon has been in shock that the city is almost completely shut down by 9 or 10pm. Every now and then you can find some things open next to the college, but otherwise there are no options.

This week we tried to open a bank account. You would be amazed at how inconvenient the process was. I'll spare you the details, but it took us three days and I took at least 3 hours off work to get it done. Ugh!

On the upside, so you don't think it is all bad, the scenery is amazing. The trees changed colors this week and I cannot describe to you the beauty. Kenyon said, "it looks like a watercolor painting" and it does. There has only been one murder in our town on record, it was in 2005 - I mean on record ever! The people are friendly. The lifestyle is more relaxed. It is very family oriented. The weather has also been wonderful - very pleasant.

Maybe someday we won't even think about all the small town inconveniences, but for now it is still an adjustment.

No comments:

Post a Comment