Pages

Thursday, February 08, 2007

I can't resist politics...

I know my schedule is busy. I know I'm already trying to juggle an insane amount of things with limited time and energy. I know all of this, but when I'm asked by one of my former professors who is running for KCMO mayor if I can help on his campaign - what do I say? Sure! Mark Funkhouser, affectionately known as "the Funk", is running for mayor. The biggest hurdle he has in winning the position is that he is honest and not at all like a politician. In fact, he's not a politician. He's a regular guy who believes to the core of his being that he can make a difference. I admire that kind of dogged determination! He has been the cities auditor for 18 years and in that time did hundreds of audits of city services, surveys of citizen satisfaction and ultimately crafted his very clever plan to make the city better. What is that crafty plan? Simply, "a city that works, with cleaner streets, safer neighborhoods and more responsive government." This morning I'm studying, then I'm headed to my career services job, then I'll be calling voters until late into the evening.

If you want to know more about the Funk, visit his website: http://www.markfunkhouser.com/index.html

He also has a blog at: http://funkhouserformayor.blogspot.com/

There are some creative TV ads and informative videos on his blog. Check it out. I have no ambitions to run for political office myself, but I do enjoy the atmosphere. I think college was the first political campaign I volunteered for. It was fun (yes, I said fun), and a great democratic learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment