Pages

Tuesday, December 07, 2010

just read: The Land Between

The Land Between: that middle space while getting from here (current circumstances) to there (fertile ground rooted in God's promise). This space often leaves us feeling lost, lonely and deeply hurt.  It can be a time of great spiritual transformation or a time when our faith shrivels and dies - we choose the outcome. Either way God is still there and his promise is still true.

This book follows the passage of the Israelites from slavery in Egypt to the promise land. It was a long journey through a desert place. If you have read this blog in recent weeks then you know we are in transition...so the book was aptly timed. 

Chapter 4 talks about the weight of discouragement. During this journey, Moses has a talk with God that I can relate to...maybe you can too.

Numbers 11:11-15 He asked the LORD, "Why have you brought this trouble on your servant? What have I done to displease you that you put the burden of all these people on me? Did I conceive all these people? Did I give them birth? Why do you tell me to carry them in my arms, as a nurse carries an infant...I cannot carry all these people by myself; the burden is too heavy for me.  If this is how you are going to treat me, put me to death right now - if I have found favor in your eyes - and do not let me face my own ruin." [emphasis mine]

Certainly, I have asked what is the purpose of this hardship? What is God attempting to teach me?

According to the author, the answer is God saying, "I am worthy of your trust. You need to learn to depend on me."

The author continues on to say, "Hear the whisper of the Creator: 'I am all sufficient. Turn to me. Trust me. I am proving myself as a capable provider.'"

So, in this time of transition where we still have no jobs (thus no income). We still don't know where we will live long-term. We are trying to help a family thrown in to chaos by a health crisis...that has no cure. I am trying to put faith in to action and believe the words of this book.

Just Sheri, wandering in the desert place and hoping to see the promise land

No comments:

Post a Comment