Pages

Monday, December 06, 2010

Amsterdam: public toilet

This will be my last post of pictures from Amsterdam...though I did take many more photos it is time for the blog to move on to more current events in the US. 

What is this? Well, it's not a phone booth as the advent of cell phones have made those an obsolete public service across the globe. 

The post title should give you a clue...it's a public urinal. When visiting Italy many moons ago, I noticed the large number of men peeing in public...and on the beautiful stone buildings. This must be Amsterdam's way of handling this problem. I will say it is a world-wide problem. For some odd reason the inability of men to hold their liquid intrigues me...and thus the way societies deal with this. On my trips around the globe I have taken many photos of such things. 


This one is from Liberia a few years ago. Based on the stains on the wall I don't think their strategy worked.

I don't bring up this discussion to be crass, but as a woman I don't understand this. Women have to go to the bathroom too, but somehow we are able to hold it until we are in a more appropriate location. I have often likened this male public urination to dogs marking territory.

Am I being unfair to the male gender in this observation? How does the society you live in deal with this public health risk?

Just Sheri, intrigued by the topic of public urination and not entirely sure why

No comments:

Post a Comment