Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2010

just read: Improving Your Serve

No, this is not a book about tennis. It is about living unselfishly - serving others.

I first read this book as a teenager. Someone had loaned it to my mom and it was sitting on the bookshelf in our home. The first chapter enchanted me and I had to read on. Until that moment I had looked at serving as an undesirable action and humility as weakness. This book changed everything.

I took this book with me when I moved out of my parents home. It has made the cut move after move. I even included it in our weight restricted shipment overseas. But, I hadn't read it again until now. I picked it up while we were in Africa - and just like when I was fifteen the first chapter grabbed me and sucked me back in.

Each year I send my brother a book for his birthday, it is usually my favorite book that I read that year. This was his gift for 2010 (and I hadn't finished it yet when I bought him a copy).

What was amazing in re-reading this book almost twenty years later is how much of it penetrated my mind at such a young age. Other than the Bible, I would say this is my manifesto.

I can't possibly share with you everything from the book, but I will share with you (briefly) how it changed my thinking on the topics of serving others and humility.

Prior to reading this book, I viewed serving as a lowly and undesirable act. Those who serve are often portrayed as powerless. After reading this book I viewed serving as an act requiring incredible strength - the one who serves others must have a deep well of internal resources in order to keep giving. I also (now) view it as the only act that changes individuals, communities, and ultimately the world. Power and control isn't the answer, true influence comes through service. Look at the impact of Mother Theresa if you doubt this point. She touched the globe by trying to serve one neighborhood in India.

Prior to reading this book, I viewed humility as weakness. The humble are often portrayed as downtrodden, they don't share their opinions and never speak unless spoken to. That isn't how humility is described in this book. Rather, humility is fortitude. The truly humble don't deny their strengths, they know their worth, but don't have to prove it to anyone else. Humble people let their character speak for itself and have enough discernment not to engage in trivial fights. They do, however, speak on behalf of the poor and exploited or point out when they see injustice. The difference is that it is not about them, because their value is assured. That frees these individuals up to fight on behalf of others and shake off any destructive comments they receive along the way (while still being open to constructive criticism).

I now see servants as superheros. Enduring the unendurable. Continuing to give when everyone else has quit and gone home. Fighting on behalf of the less fortunate. World changers - one person at a time.

These are only two of the many concepts in the book. There are also powerful chapters on forgiving and generosity. From beginning to end the message is powerful and counter cultural. I think everyone can benefit from it's message and I am convinced that if we had a few more servants on earth, this world would be a better place.

And just so we are clear. I re-read this book because I needed to hear it's message. I have in no way obtained the standard it sets and I am trying to lay down my stuff bit by bit. It is not an easy journey, but I believe it is worth the effort.

What is your view of service and humility?

Just Sheri, reminded of a goal worth striving toward

No comments:

Post a Comment