Pages

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Everyday Heroes: six girls from Burundi

Last week I was speaking with a board member from a community organization I am volunteering with. This man is a local business owner and a father of three girls.  It came up that he and his wife spend time with six girls from Burundi. They take them to movies. Have them over to play. Bought them Christmas gifts. They show kindness to these six girls, by simply offering friendship.

The girls parents recently had a son. The man mentioned to the girls that they must be happy to finally have a brother. The girls informed this man that they had brothers before, but they were dead. It was an eye opening experience for this man who lives a comfortable life by most standards. In his world, this is not common...in theirs it is.

Everyday Heroes show kindness to those in need. The family of these six girls don't have a lot of money, but that isn't the only qualifier for need. They are new to this country and also need relationships. I have been a foreigner in a foreign land and I can tell you from experience that the simple act of taking someone to buy groceries and showing them how it is done, or banking, or driving is an incredibly generous gift. I will not forget the kindness others showed me when I was a stranger in their land. Now that I am home I intend to share that kindness with others who are a stranger in my homeland.

The Bible is very clear on how we are to treat strangers (foreigners) in our land. Matthew 25:35-40 tells a story of righteous individuals who are before a king. There is an expectation that they will be rewarded for good works. The king surprises them with a standard of behavior they were not aware of...
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."
Then the righteous will answer him, "Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick and in prison and go to visit you?"
The King will reply, "Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."
We are commanded to serve the "least of these" - which clearly means the hungry, the poor, the foreigner, the sick and the prisoner. It's not an easy ask, but an important one.

As an added bonus, this man told a story of a time when his wife took the six girls from Burundi to the movies. A stranger saw them at the theater and bought all of the children popcorn and sodas...anonymously. I love that. This person saw an opportunity to give in front of them and simply gave, without recognition.

Just Sheri, hoping to pay it forward to a stranger

NOTE: the Everyday Heroes series on this blog is an idea to share stories of normal people engaging in acts of kindness. I want to draw attention to kindness because I believe it is what changes the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment