Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

Masai people

When I was a young person still living in my parents home, I had seen some images of Africa. Usually those images involved vast deserts with wild animals, like what is often shown on episodes of "Wild Kingdom."  I also remember images of men dressed in colorful robes, holding spears, who did a unique dance. The dance involved jumping really high. For years my family would immitate that dance. My Tia Nita was the best at it. Now that I am an adult, I have learned that the Masai people are often known for this type of dress and dance.

On a recent visit to Kenya I had the opportunity to meet some Masai people. It was at a tourist resort on the coast, but it brought back memories from younger years. I suspect, had my family been with me they would have been dancing with the Masai and not sitting in garden chairs on the sidelines as many others were.
Being up close and personal I learned something interesting that I thought you might appreciate too. The Masai wear the most fascinating shoes.
The shoes are made of tire rubber. Yes, recycled tires can be used as footware. This particualr pair was approximately 10 years old. Wow! How many pairs of shoes do you have that you could wear every day and have them last for 10 years? Admittedly, I don't have any.

Tire shoes. Fascinating.

Just Sheri, grateful for the people I have met along the journey and what they have taught me

No comments:

Post a Comment