Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

affordable healthcare?

On March 23, 2010 the Affordable Health Care Act became law. It made international news (before, during and after). CNN called it "Making History."

After watching a town hall meeting on the topic, I posted my thoughts. I still feel the same way.

This is all ancient history. Why am I bringing it up now? It's already gone in the win column and the world has moved on. Right?

I am bringing it up because I don't think the "reform" fixed anything and my husband I encountered the problems that persist.

When living in Cambodia, Kenyon went to a kick-boxing class. He didn't have the right equipment, but he wanted to try it out. He hurt his wrist. Months later it still hurt. Medical care is difficult to come by in the developing world and good care is often very expensive. Kenyon has health insurance, but it only covers emergency medical evacuation and catastrophic illness. My employer only covers my health insurance and we couldn't afford the alternative. The insurance world doesn't know how to deal with the whole "international" thing - frankly, they panic.With or without insurance, Kenyon needed an x-ray.

While in Kansas City we visited the KC Free Clinic. Why? Well, the clue is in it's name...it's free. We had to call a day ahead of time and wait on the phone for a long time, but free is all we could afford. The free clinic has it's limitations, for instance they don't have an x-ray machine. They referred us to the state run hospital.

Since we cannot prove residency in any US state right now based on their residency rules we were not eligible for medical financial assistance. When we were told the price to run an x-ray our jaws dropped. Did we not mention we just came from the free clinic? Do you think we would have gone there if we had another choice?

Kenyon did not get an x-ray. His wrist still hurts.

I thought health care problem was fixed? Isn't that what all the hype was about? Am I missing something? Because from where I am sitting, I still see problems and would certainly not call health care affordable. Just sayin'...

Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment