Pages

Friday, May 28, 2010

just read: Pagan Christianity

I am half-way through a thought provoking book titled Pagan Christianity. Essentially, the authors trace the history of our current church practices -  the roots of practices such as sermons, tithe, church buildings, etc. The authors contrasts these things with their idea of what the New Testament church is meant to be.

This book makes me long for their description of community. A place where every individual is living out their calling and utilizing their talents and gifts. A place where there is a sense of responsibility to help the poor and suffering. Authentic community where people are real with each other, share burdens and joys. Who wouldn't want to be part of something like that?

There is a follow-up to this book titled Reimagining Church. I might read that next, if i can get my hands on it...

The person who recommended this book said:  "be careful not to become a bull-headed revolutionary who contests what is currently practiced.” This book does get me fired up, and many of the ideas speak to my soul, but I do think the advice was sound so I will heed it and not get on a soap box here and instead just recommend the book and let you decide for yourself.

I was telling my mom about the book the other day and she said it probably isn't a good idea for me to be reading something like this that is critical of existing Christian institutions when I am about to become a seminary student. That is probably also sound advice. But, I've already applied, been accepted, and need to accomplish this if I plan to continue my career with my current employer. So, I will select my courses carefully.

My first choice is a Philosophy course on Christ and culture. The course description sounds interesting. I hope it will explore ideas similar to those in this book. I pray my expectations are correct. Classes begin June 20. Since it will be part of my life, things I am learning will likely find their way on this blog.

What are your thoughts on church as an institution? Is it meeting the needs of society both spiritually and physically?

No comments:

Post a Comment