Pages

Thursday, March 04, 2010

eating rats

On a recent trip out to the village my driver stopped at a roadside cafe. By cafe, I mean it was a small shack, with a table of random items (most unrecognizable) and a grill. On the grill was a very popular item with the locals. What was it? Grilled rats.

What I learned from this experience is when rats are grilled they get stiff. The cook then uses their tail to turn them as they cook. These rats were spread out like a 5-point star over the grill. The driver innocently asked me if I wanted one, I kindly declined the request. A truck load of field workers stopped in while we were there and ate up the delicacy.

The funny part is that as I was recounting this story to one of the American staff at my destination. The staff member shared with me that the Australian intern had tried rat the night before and was consequently feeling sick from it.

I had to find the intern and ask a very pressing question. Maybe you would like to know what rat tasted like, or what it's texture was. But my question was more pressing than that...I simply wanted to know: why? Why would anyone from the Western world willingly choose to eat a rat?

She said she tried it because she was told it is a field rat and those are better than city rats. Whatever! As far as I am concerned, eating rat is not part of my diet unless I am on the verge of death from starvation.

So, some knowledgable person out there - is eating field rats better than eating city rats? I'll just have to take your word on the matter as this is one experience I will pass on.

No comments:

Post a Comment