Pages

Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas in Asia

This picture was taken from a recent visit to Bangkok with my good friend and co-worker Lesley. There were all kinds of gaudy holiday scenes set up when we visited. In typical Asian style there were many people posing for photos among the lights and sets. We couldn't resist! When in Asia....
Kenyon and I are spending our first Christmas in Asia. No trips home for the holiday. I am actually pretending the holidays don't exist this year. It's been rather easy since the weather is still warm like summer (we are in the dry and sunny season now - they call this winter. Christmas day it is 95 degrees and 87% humidity). I am also in a Buddhist country that doesn't acknowledge Jesus birthday in any way and living in the developing world where they haven't quite mastered the art of marketing - let's be real, there is almost zero holiday marketing with the exception of a couple of shops catering to foreigners.

I spent Thanksgiving day working on a grant proposal for UNICEF. Christmas Eve was (not) celebrated at a large, annual AIDS meeting that I attended at a hotel in Cambodia. It was a lot of pomp and circumstance, as these meetings usually are. Today, I did buy tickets for us at a nice hotel in town that is serving a large buffet lunch and giving all day access to the pool. I packed Christmas decorations and shipped them across the ocean. Why? Because this is my favorite holiday, but I am just not in the celebrating spirit this year so I haven't unpacked any of the decorations I packed.

I did receive a couple of Christmas greetings worth sharing. One of my colleagues (an Australian living in the UK) sent an email that was unexpected, but so appreciated. The portion that I liked best reads:

For those of you that are staying in country during the holiday season- I know how hard it is for you to be away from loved ones at Christmas- but this as well will be a time that you will remember all of your lives. I know what it costs to be working in your circumstances, and so at this time, I hope that you will really know that you are thought of and honored for the sacrifices that you have made on behalf of the work.

What a thoughtful note sent through email by someone who understands my current experience. The second holiday greeting worth noting was a text message I received from our favorite pizza joint. Cambodians love, love, love to text. It's cheaper than calling and an easy form of communication. Anyway, this text was basically wishing us a Happy Christmas. I appreciated the gesture, it made me smile.

So, Happy Christmas to all and to all a blessed new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment