Pages

Thursday, October 15, 2009

just read: Leaving Microsoft to Change the World

When I arrived in Cambodia my new boss gave me a copy of a book I'd never read. Being the lover of books that I am, I would never refuse a good book recommendation! He told me this book had helped him learn the power of focus, find what your passionate about or do well and commit fully to it. I recently finished reading "Leaving Microsoft to Change the World."

This is a story of one mans personal journey from a life of success as the world defines it - money, title, possessions - to a life of significance. It is his goal to give every child an opportunity to experience the power of reading. In my life, my affinity for reading has opened my mind to possibilities I would not have considered otherwise. I don't go to movies or television to escape, but a good book will take me on a journey to other worlds or through other experiences. I love, love, love to read. I don't always have time to do it, but that doesn't mean my passion for it has wained.

Cambodia is one of the focus countries for Room to Read, the organization founded and led by the author, John Wood. In the book, there is a whole chapter dedicated to the struggles of this country. John saw the need for education here. He saw the need for libraries. I've mentioned before about the lack of capacity in this country and the total destruction of infrastructure by previous rulers. Those things may be true, but most people did not choose illiteracy, rather it was the lack of opportunity that created their circumstances. When given the chance, most welcome the opportunity to learn new things.

The organization I work for helps build schools in the border towns near Thailand. These were not planned communities, they sprung up out of people's desperation for work. Living on the border they can easily cross over in to Thailand as day laborers. There aren't adequate schools in this area of the country due to the transient and poor nature of these communitites. Unfortuately, most kids are either left at home alone until after dark or for days on end while their parents work; or they are asked to work alongside their parents.

Building schools, providing uniforms and working with the government to provide teachers is one aspect of the project. We just submitted a grant to the World Food Program to provide school feedings. Normally school feeding projects provide one to two meals a day at school. Our model is a bit different. There will be one meal per day provided at school and then, if the kids attend school regularly in the week the child will get food to take home to the family. This encourages school attendance for even the most desperate of families. It also helps improve the health of the entire family, not just one child. There will also be special incentives provided for girl children who regularly attend school.

We just opened a new school the week before I left for the Philippines. This is our fifth school in less than six years. Last week, we received an email from the leader of the village that they would also like a school library.

John Wood, if you are reading this maybe there is an opportunity for partnership? Together, we can help more children discover the joy of reading and fill their minds with possibilities for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment