Pages

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Better to give...

It is more blessed to give than to receive. Acts 20:35


So, this is the year of greater love. Which basically means I am working on developing deeper characteristics of love in my life. I realized something that I thought was worth sharing.

I like to receive gifts. I like when someone serves me. I'm human, who doesn't like these things? But, what I realized recently in my relationship with my husband is that I feel deeper love for him when I am giving and not receiving. When I am making a special meal for him that I think he might like, I feel love. When I assume responsibility for a household chore (not because I was asked to do it, but because I think it will be helpful to my husband), I feel love. When I am shopping for a gift for him and looking for just the right thing that he might like, I feel love. Doing these things for him, I feel more love than when I am on the receiving end. I'm starting to believe that Acts 20 is on to something...isn't that just like God to turn things upside down like that?

The world would say, "find someone who meets your emotional needs. Get all you can out of life and love."

God says, "give."

What I'm discovering is the giving is more satisfying.

Have you learned anything surprising about love or relationships lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment