Pages

Monday, September 22, 2008

"Enough"

I was recently in Thailand visiting families affected by HIV/AIDS. I met a young women there. She is 25 years old, infected, married and the mother of a 4 year old girl. She works hard, laying concrete in road construction. Her husband works hard as a night security guard at a local warehouse. They make approximately 100 baht a month - the equivalent of $3. They live in a make shift home - sticks and debris - with just enough room for a platform bed that the three of them sleep on. Most of their food comes from a small garden they are growing beside their home. The kitchen is a camp fire outside their home. They have some stumps to sit on as chairs. One of the people asked what happens when it rains, her response, "we get wet." She said it with a smile. Then she and her husband laughed about how they take turns holding up the corner to keep most of the water out.

I see many people living in circumstances like this. Often, Americans see this and feel pity. I have learned more about living, truly living, from people in these situations. The value of my life has nothing to do with the wealth of my possessions. It is about relationships.

This woman taught me another valuable lesson. When asked how she and her family were doing. She responded, "we have enough. God has blessed us with enough food to eat, a place to live, jobs and each other. I can't ask for more than enough. We are blessed with enough."

Enough? When was the last time you felt like you had enough?

2 comments:

  1. I am glad that you have a blog. It is a great way to keep up with you and I can show my boys as we continue to pray for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could say I have enough but I look at where I live and want more. I want more for my family I want more for my children I want I want I want….. I need to be more foolish I need to listen to God I need to make a difference in this part of the world I live in. I need to not look at what other have and want it because that is what the world said I have the right to want or have.
    I want to have the strength to do what God wants me to have and do. Not the world. I can’t live up to that.
    Sometimes I even wish I had nothing so that I could live a simple life. I am often jealous of these people who have nothing or have just what God has provided for them. These people are daily relying on God to provide them with food, water and even settler. I have all that. So I think I don’t need to rely on God as much. I thank God for you Sheri who remind me that it is not about me it is all about God and daily if not moment by moment I need to rely on God and his truth and word. Not on the things I want. But just on God who I can have. This is enough. That is all I need. I need to start living more like this family. I have enough in Christ.
    I need to start living it now.

    ReplyDelete