Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Concept of a Calling

I've been thinking a lot about the idea of a calling. I believe everyone, yes everyone, has a calling. I believe God put each of us on earth for a purpose - no exception. That doesn't mean discovering or fulfilling your individual calling is easy, in fact it is quite the opposite. I believe callings are revelaed in quite promptings from God (almost whispers), they require obedience even when they don't make sense or are unpopular, they often bring with them a burden. There is a book titled, "Answer Your Call." I read this book in graduate school...one of the few for fun. I picked it up again recently. There was a quote in there that I can relate to. The author says, "Responding to your call means accepting the burden that will set you free." Burden and freedom? Can the two co-exist? They seem paradoxical. When you have heard the call and respond, you understand. It is a burden that brings freedom, it is freedom that comes along with a burden. I feel both simultaneously, but yet, I consider myself one of the lucky ones. So many people spend their lives wondering what their purpose is? I don't wonder. I'm living it. It isn't easy and there are plenty of days that I long for "normal," but at the core of my being I wouldn't have it any other way. I am enjoying living the great adventure of life and I'm still discovering where my calling may lead next...

No comments:

Post a Comment