Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

confusing policy?

I'm taking a trip to China next month. I've never been to China before. The country requires US Citizens to have a visa. That's not new to me, I've had to get a couple of those to travel to India. What is new is that they will not receive applications by mail...no way, no how, not by mail. I read that on the website and thought, "that can't possibly be right." So, I called the consulate office. Yup, it's not a typo. No applications by mail, must be in person. The consulate offices are in Chicago, Houston, D.C. and L.A. I suppose I could take an unplanned vacation and hope that all the paperwork is processed while I'm there. Or...get this...a perfect stranger can apply on my behalf, with my passport in hand. Tell me, does that make any sense? We won't accept applications by mail, but unaffiliated persons holding your passport are okay? I'm blaming communism for this confusing policy. Why? because I'm a student and fan of democracy and can't believe a democratic society would be so inefficient, unresponsive, or unrepresentative.

Anyway, I found a company on the Internet that does this for folks like me who don't have the time or resources to fly to a China consulate and stay for an undetermined amount of time. This entrepreneurial company even offers international cell phones for hire (rent) and will purchase tickets if needed. Now that is capitalism at its finest!

No comments:

Post a Comment