Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Update

It seems the pace of my life never seems to reach less than break-neck speed! I have officially completed the application process for the PhD program. Now I wait. I should know the result in March some time.

I have moved. I took the Friday off prior to the move and packed. Fiona and her daughter Sheridan came over to help. I packed late into the evening, went to work on Saturday morning, then moved everything I own to the new location. It was raining that day. I have made a vow...I vow not to move myself again. In the future, I choose to pay someone to pack my life and move my stuff. Whatever the cost, it is worth it! With confidence I can say, I have very, very good friends. I was cranky, it seemed everything with the move was going wrong, the rain was a nice touch, but inspite of it all - people showed up to help. WOW!! Thank you to Fiona, Delenn, Elaine, Jeannie, Karen, Angela, Kelsey, Yasmine, and Gamil. The men had it rough!! I moved from a second story apartment to a third story condo. My furniture is heavy. The one benefit of moving, you realize how much junk you own. As I was packing. I looked at things and asked myself, "do I REALLY want to move this?" The answer was often, "no." I am still working on making it home, but I am glad to have the move behind me.

Prem Das has arrived from India, via Houston where he was visiting his son. We have already attended three meetings and have many more scheduled for the week. I will post some pics. One story I just have to share...when I picked him up from the airport and we were loading my car he said, "ahh, a jeep." Then nothing else. I didn't think much about it. The next day he told me he has always wanted to ride in a jeep. In India, jeeps are the vehicle of choice for dignitaries, the rich and important - I have a vehicle of the gods!! He also made a joke about the heated seats. He is going to return to India and tell the children that Sheri burnt him without fire. I guess there is some folk tale involving burning with no fire. We laughed about it until I was in tears and could hardly see the road. I am very grateful for the time I have with him. I know I respect him greatly and admire the work he is doing, but it is a privilege to get to know him on a personal level; share jokes, stories and experiences. I will post pictures soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment